Mission and background
Discover the world that surrounds us
Opened in 1997, the Centre de la Biodiversité mission is to do awareness and to educate young people and adults in the existence and preservation of the biological species of Quebec. The Center also contributes in sustainable development of our beautiful planet.
As non-profit organization, the Center is managed by a board of directors and employs a dozen people every year. There are four employees in a permanent way. It contributes to the development of its environment and, in return, the City of Bécancour and several companies support it in is development.
Ratatou, which eats its dry dog food.
A little of history:
- From 1991 to 1995 - Shaping of the project of center of interpretation for the nature near the wooded of the school Mont-Bénilde by the "Frères des écoles chrétiennes", the City of Bécancour, the Ministry of the Environment and the Fauna and Hydro-Québec.
- 1995 - Beginning of the construction of the building.
- 1997 - Inauguration of the Centre de la Biodiversité du Québec.
- 2000 - Hiring of a permanent team of three people, transfer of the management of the orchard of Mont-Bénilde to the Centre de la Biodiversité du Québec.
- From 2000 to 2008 - Seasonal opening of the Center (in May to October), collaboration to diverse projects of the environment (of which the ecological park Godefroy and the park of the river Gentilly).
- 2008 - Construction of enlargement, activities of this season limited to the forest and to the orchard.
- 2009 - Opening of the new Centre de la Biodiversité du Québec, enlarged and completely renovated, now accessible in the whole year, with new exhibitions, new alive specimens and comfortable installations.
- 2012 - Recognized anchor point of the Road of the Sailors.
- 2013 - Inauguration of a new outside exhibition "Urban Fauna, funny neighbors".
- 2014 - The aviary showcases specimens of Quebec prey birds. Expansion of the urban Fauna of 2013
- 2015 - Bioluminescence, the world of the bright bodies, this exhibition will attract the young SCIENTISTS.
- 2015 - Journey at the bottom of the Saint-Laurent, this permanent exhibition replaces the movie * 4 seasons of lake* offered since the enlargement in 2009. This new exhibition will be the highlight of 2015, for the next 5 years.
- 2016 - New projects of development of the forest in anticipation of an announcement, which will come true within the framework of the 20th anniversary, in 2017.
- 2017 - Inauguration of the new exhibition "The Return of the Giants of the Prehistory", available for the next 4 years.
- 2017 - It is the 20th anniversary, a project of enlargement is realized during the autumn and will be presented from February 2018.
- 2018 - Press conference for the announcement of the immersive night-route, planned for 2019.
- 2018 - Inauguration of the first itinerant exhibition "Mysteries under waves", available from February, 2018 till May, 2018.
- 2018 - Inauguration of the second itinerant exhibition "The invaders are here!"
- 2019 - Coming soon!